Saturday, February 28, 2009

New Author to Read!

I like it when I can find a new author to start reading. I have a tendency to read everything a favorite author has penned... then the relationship seems to end. As per my habit, every now and then I have to 'try out' a new author, usually accidentally. Sometimes these work out, and sometimes not.

This week I decided to read a book not on my Kindle... but using an e-book reader for my iPhone. Yes, I know the screen is much smaller, but it does have back lighting, and I always have my iPhone with me. So I thought I'd give it a try.
The iPhone application is 'Stanza' - an e-book reader with Mac as well as Windows versions as well as the iPhone.

I purchased a highly recommended book, and then started reading. I really got into the book, and had to fight the urge many times to just move the files over to my Kindle... but I perceviered and finished an entire book on my iPhone.


I guess if I didn't have a Kindle (and now a Kindle2) I would have thought Stanza and the iPhone were not bad. The screen was small, the line length too short, and it really needs two hands to turn the pages (swiping the screen)


But it was pretty cool that the book slowly faded as a phone call came in.


The new author is David Liss and the historical fiction (so I can have fun and learn something at the same time) was The Whiskey Rebels. He does take a bit too much 'license' with timing and places, but overall not a bad way to learn a bit about history I'd forgotten. Overall, a good read!

2 comments:

Jill Parsons said...

you have a kindle2?

Karrissa Winward said...

I thought you were going to say you finally broke down and read twilight, behind mom's back of course, since that is the text on the iphone screen shot. Cool!