Friday, May 29, 2009

Not my heart... Esophagus

So... to finish up my week of medical tests - pokes, prods, and needle sticks... Yesterday I was able to get into a Cardiologist here in Utah - who, after reviewing the tests from Philly and giving me an exam thought it wasn't cardiac based, but thought it my be my esophagus. Amazingly, I was able to get in for an endoscopy today!

This afternoon, after not eating or drinking for 15 hours or so, I had an Esophagogastroduodenoscopy with biopsy - try and say that three times fast... thus everyone just calls it an EGD. This included putting a camera down my throat, looking at the esophagus, stomach and top of the intestines.
The results showed I have Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease or GERD. I guess there is excess acid buildup in my stomach and the lining there was inflamed, and the lining of the esophagus had small lesions.

The treatment is amazingly simple. Prilosec OTC twice a day. Just add them to my morning and afternoon meds... easy schmeezy. (plus not lying down after eating for a couple of hours) Since I don't really eat a lot of spicy foods already...
now I have a legitimate reason for not enjoying Mexican food.

Oh, and that other thing... lose weight!


So even though it isn't my heart, I'm going to continue on my 'health' thing - hey, a wake up call, is a wake up call! Who am I to ignore it?

1 comment:

Richard B said...

Certainly glad that it was your esophagus rather than your heart. Glad you got all the tests done before your trip. One more pill to take, which will definitely help with any stomach pain.